Wednesday, April 10, 2013

An essential top!




Finally, a top on the blog. Thanks to Faye's Essential top sewalong! It's almost done, except for the hems. I'm too tired today and if I go any further I'll mess up. So the hems have to wait for tomorrow.

Fabric is from King's Fabrics, Queen Street, bought maybe 2 yrs ago.. The color is more  of a deep royal purple in real life.

The pattern came from Ottobre Women 2/2007 issue. The top seemed a bit plain like a tank top, so I added a tie on collar to it. I surprised myself that the collar isn't too bad after all. The kicker is that it fits!  Did you hear that?? IT FITS!!! :) No gaping neckline, no armhole gaping, no bra strap showing on the back shoulder - nothing!! Apparently, the regular FBA works out better for me, than the Y dart one!

Thank you Faye, for the sewalong!

12 comments:

  1. That's a lovely top. The tie is a clever addition too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is beautiful! I love the style and bet it fits perfectly too. Thank you so very much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mrs.Smith, Katy and Faye! I was thrilled to make it before the deadline. :) Once again, Thanks Faye for organizing this sewalong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear KayoticSewing,

    Several days ago, you left a comment on my blog regarding Sew4Fun's technique of facing a waist with petersham. I've been searching the net for a way to contact you and I finally found you! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for taking the time to thoroughly explain the process to me. I have yet to read Kathleen Fassanella's post, but what you described makes sense. I appreciate the effort you took to leave that comment and explain in such detail. Thank you again!!

    Lynn (You sew girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome, Lynn! The overhang thing was so confusing for me; and I found in your blog that you didn't get it either... So, when I did finally 'get' it, I naturally, wanted to share it with you too.

    Check out Katy's post here and the comments:
    http://denimskirtsandotherstuff.blogspot.ca/2011/10/zippers-and-welt-pockets.html

    That was the Aha! moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you find Ottobre in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sveta, I bought them online from Ottobre website. They have back issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should look better there web-site!%) I bought last week new issue(in Finnish, hehe) and like their practical patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful coloured fabric! I also just love the neck detail, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Thank you for commenting on my blog. I haven't seen your blog before but you are now in my bookmarks! I look forward to going back and reading lots of your posts (when uni is done of course!). I like this top - I have a few Ottobre magazines but have one top still not finished but can't wait to sew more of their stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Friendly comments or constructive feedback are always welcome.

All comments will be moderated to prevent spam.