Friday, July 12, 2013

Elna Supermatic


I saw this beauty advertised for sale and left it alone... For a long time.

And now she's mine. Feel free to shake your head thinking "Incorrigible". Laugh all you want, but she's mine! All mine.

SSsshhh! We don't talk about the no-buy resolution in these parts anymore! Remember? I gave it up in June and not looking back.


All the machines I've tried in the past 20 years.. could never match up to the straight stitch from my mom's treadle. And now I've found one that possibly can.  I've read about vintage Elna's a bit and have found that they could make a stitch as good as vintage Bernina's. Let's see if she can rise up to the challenge. I picked her up yesterday. She came with just one accessory - the zigzag cam. I don't think I care about other accessories.. At least not at this point, anyway. I also found the Elna Supermatic manual online.

The good news is that she seems to work! Yay! Bad news is that there's some noise; The needle moves freely not hitting anything but there's some noise elsewhere. I've read that the pulley might be off and needs replacing every 50 yrs. The Youtube video that talks about changing the pulley in Elna Supermatic seems to have a different noise than mine. But first things first - she needs a bit of cleaning and a lot of oiling to see if the sound still exists. If it is the pulley, apparently it is easy to change on my own and the pulley can be bought online at RayWhite. But I might get it serviced as well.

A machine that was well used and care for at some point and put away for long time.  Needs a tiny bit of TLC before she can be back in full form kicking ass.

In case you are wondering if I am sewing at all, yes, I have finished a dress and wore it thrice already and love it! Just waiting for pictures before I post on that. 

7 comments:

  1. 20+ years ago, I passed by one of these at a garage sale, it was $10. I have been kicking myself ever since. Enjoy your new toy. 8-) I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ElleC, Hopefully you'll find one soon...

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that is one sexy machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look sexy, doesn't she? She needs a part replaced which I'm working on ... I can't wait to get this green girl up and running!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful machine! You really can't bet a vintage one - which is why I bought myself two (one brand-new and one antique) when I needed a new machine. Hope you get it running well - I know you will love it!

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brooke! I hope to get to be friends with her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sew with one of these machines - really amazing piece of equipment. Mine not good with stretch fabrics. I have been able to bring it up to date with the latest fancy stitch discs. I hope you have success with i getting to work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Friendly comments or constructive feedback are always welcome.

All comments will be moderated to prevent spam.