Having watched Goodbye-Valentino and followed her journey on not buying RTW clothes, I've been thinking about going on a similar fast. And I'd like to personalize it to make it work for me, by going on a buying-fast for a year from all buying - RTW clothes, fabric, books, DVDs, kitchen stuff etc - a moratorium of sorts, even from thrift stores where all sorts of interesting things find me. 3 very similar cast iron woks, anyone?
While I am not a hoarder and my house is not stuffed, I do have a lot more than what I need. Considering my sensory issues, I feel overwhelmed and I have f.i.n.a.l.l.y figured out that I do function well in an uncluttered minimalistic environment. So, it's time to declutter and pare them down or use them up. Keywords here are use/declutter/donate/freecycle/sell.
I do have enough fabric, books, videos!!! My fabric stash is plenty, with wonderful fabrics!! I have enough sewing books and DVDS. And I have enough patterns - My pattern stash isn't large but I do have some Burda & Ottobre magazines and maybe 12-15 other patterns from the big 4 pattern companies - I still won't be able to sew them all in 2-3 yrs even if I get cracking today! So, there's no excuse to buy more patterns for a year.
As one of the experienced ladies at SG hinted about how people switch from buying RTW to buying more fabric, I'm slowly aware that I tend to move from buying one stuff to another. And I'm really tired of this accumulation and want to do spent my time using the stuff I already have, rather than wasting my time accumulating more stuff. So I need to cover as much loopholes as I can! Lurking at the decluttering thread and also reading a few minimalistic blogs have been very helpful as I understand now that the 'stuff' overwhelms me and holds me back.
So, NO MORE BUYING!! I AM GOING ON A FAST!!
- Food, toiletries, medicine
- socks, undies, a winter jacket and a polarized sunglasses for my eye sensitivity
- notions without which I cannot finish projects that I have been working on - say, a zipper or interfacing or lining, etc
- Renovations around the house + furniture + appliances which have already been carefully planned and budgeted for.
- Experiences like In person classes, Eating out in restaurants, tickets to events, etc
- 2 Craftsy classes and no more (I hope Craftsy comes with a great jacket construction class or fitting class) I do not have access to really good local sewing classes and craftsy has been a blessing! So, I'll give myself an allowance of 2 craftsy classes, if I'm dying to buy them. :)
- Everybody else in the family is excluded from this fast. And I cannot go shopping for them, unless it's an urgent need!
I just found out that a few other bloggers are going on a similar fast too!
- Sew Essentially Sew
- Meg the Grand
- What would Nancy Drew wear?
It would be interesting to follow their journey as well as feel inspired to stay on course.